Althea is an Internet Service Provider (ISP) platform and blockchain that enables the coordination of multi-stakeholder networks. 1 It operates on the Last mile aiming to provide a decentralized and trustless access to the network/internet. It incentivizes peering agreements between nodes, i.e. nodes pay each other using cryptocurrency for forwarding packets +.
There are different types of nodes:
- User nodes
- These are installed by the end-user who wants to buy internet access. +
- Intermediary nodes
- These are installed by those who want to earn money by forwarding packets. +
- Gateway nodes
- These are connected to a source of internet, acting as an intermediary between the Althea’s physical layer and the outside internet. +
- Exit nodes
- These are connected to gateway nodes over VPN tunnels.
- They provide an endpoint to verify quality metrics as well as take on the legal role of an ISP, dealing with copyright claims and more. +
The propose two main additions to Babel, which is the distance vector routing protocol they used:
Routes are selected by optimizing the quality metric vs the price metric +.